December News

Dog's Night Before Christmas


Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.
My dogs were nestled, all snug in "MY" bed,
While visions of chewie toys danced in their heads.

I in my sweat pants and Dad in his sweater,
Had just settled down to read the Great Dog Reporter,
When up on the roof there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter!

Off to the window I flew in a flash,
Tore open the shutter and threw up the sash.
The moon on the crest of the new fallen snow
Gave a luster of midday to the objects below.


And what to my wondering eyes did appear
but a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.
With a little old driver so lively and quick
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.

With a sputter of ashes -- a flurry of soot,
He slid down the chimney with all of his loot.
My Dogs stood there so regal and proud,
Guarding their home with barks oh so loud.
St. Nick showed no fear and called them by name,
He knew in his heart they were gentle and tame.

He brought out his list, checking it twice.
"Well, my beauties, all year you've been very nice.
I have in my bag toys and much more,
Just tell me what you pups really long for."

My dogs talked to each other -- much to my surprise
and turned to Santa with tears in their eyes,
"We have chewies and balls and ropes to be tugged,
We are pampered and coddled and petted and hugged.
But for Christmas, dear Santa, we have but one care,
that all dogs be loved as much as we are.
We want no dog beaten, whipped or chained,
No dog abandoned, abused or maimed.
We want all dogs, no matter what size,
to see love reflected in their master's eyes."

St. Nick stopped for a moment to gather his wits,
"I have nothing to stop humans from being such twits."
All dogs are so beautiful and are such a treasure,
Living only to be loved and give humans pleasure.
This lesson I will try to teach
Then maybe your wish will be within my reach."

St. Nick leaned over and kissed each beautiful head.
"Now you gentle giants, go off to bed.
Think good thoughts and dream good dreams
Of running and jumping and playing in streams."

St. Nick turned to me, his face wet with tears.
"Be proud of your babies, they are such dears."

In an instant St. Nick disappeared in a poof,
And I heard him chuckle as he ran on the roof.
He jumped in his sleigh and to his team gave a whistle,
and off he flew like the down on a thistle.

And I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
"Merry Christmas to All and To All Dogs a Good Life!"


Training Done Right



Your dog loves a good party

You've planned your big holiday party for family and friends and think you're prepared for everything. But are you? The day arrives and as you open the door to welcome your guests, Buddy jumps up on your aunt to say hello. Or Max lunges at the door barking. How about that big bowl of chocolate candies you put out for snacks that's now on the floor with your pet's nose in it?

While we all want to include our best friends in our parties, unless your dog is very calm around lots of excitement it's best to find a quiet place for him to stay. Does Maggie sleep in your bedroom? That's probably where she will feel most comfortable while all the merriment goes on. Don't have a room available? Call your favorite boarding kennel or pet sitter (well in advance) and reserve the date. You'll be happier and your dog will be too.



Spotlight On Our Adoptees


I'm Tina, a wonderful 2 year old female Chow Retriever mix. I look a little funny because I only have 3 1/2 legs, but I run and play just as well as my foster brothers and sisters. I am very cute - don't you think I have beautiful eyes? I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am spayed, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $125 and I come with one free vet visit. I would love to have my own family. Please contact my foster Mom at 813-334-8765 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me. I can't wait to meet you.


I'm Dorian, a male 19 pound Jack Russell somewhere between 6 and 7 years old. I look a little funny with my bow legs, it's a form of dwarfism common in my breed, but I get around just fine. I have perfect house manners and am very quiet. I don't get on the furniture or bark and I love to play ball. I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am neutered, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. I've even gotten my teeth cleaned. My adoption fee is $125.00 and I come with one free vet visit. If I'm your kind of guy, please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels.




My name is Roman. I am a 1 year old male American Bulldog,Pit Bull Terrier mix. I have a sweet disposition and a great personality. I have lots of energy and just love to play with other dogs. I am neutered, current on all shots including rabies, and wormed for intestinal parasites and microchipped. My adoption fee if $125. Please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me. Will you take me home?

My name is Louie. I am a 3 year old male Shepherd/Black Lab mix. I had a rough start in life living outside in a cage 24 hours a day. I am in obedience training with Barkbusters Dog Training. My training will transfer to my new family for as long as needed. I love to play especially fetching a ball but don't do real well with other dogs. I still think I'm a puppy and don't realize how strong I am so have to be very careful around children. My foster Mom says I am an amazing dog with a fantastic personality who will bring a family so much love and happiness if given an opportunity. I am neutered, up to date on all of shots, including rabies, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested(neg) and currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $100. Please call my foster Mom at 813-453-1124 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me.

Hi. My name is Xol. I am a 2 year old male Jack Russell terrier weighing about 18 lbs. I am a happy guy with lots of energy and love to chase a tennis ball. I do well with other dogs but not so well with cats. I am neutered, current on all shots including rabies, wormed for intestinal parasites and micro chipped. There are options for my HW treatment that will be discussed with a potential new family. My adoption fee is $125. If you would love to add me to your family, please contact my foster mom at (813) 417-2106 or email Lost Angels.


To see all of our babies looking for a forever home, please visit Lost Angels Animal Rescue.

Lost Angels Friends



Ruth Doyle and her fellow employees are wonderful. Ruth writes "Every year our company has a tree decorating contest, with the three floors of our building competing for first prize. This year, our third floor group decided to do something a little different. We decided to combine our tree decorating with help for rescued pets. All of us are pet lovers, many of us have rescues. In exchange for hanging a picture of our pets on the tree, we are all donating items needed by Save Our Strays and Lost Angels. So far we have food, toys, crates, collars, treats, clumping litter and cash." You have truly "wowed" us. Thank you so much, Ruth, for your support of our angels.

Thanks so very much to J. Doyle who surprised us with a very generous donation.

To Florida Voices for Animals, thank you for your generosity to our little angels.

To everyone who reached out in support of all the little dogs we rescued during the recent distemper outbreak, our heartfelt thanks. With your help, we were able to protect 40 dogs and find homes for many.

Special thanks to everyone who continues to support us every month with donations. We are very appreciative of all you do for the angels.

Tidbits



Looking for a Holiday Gift?
If you are searching for a Christmas present for a little one in your family, there is a toy available called Rescue Pets. These adorable stuffed dogs include sound and movement and even have their own adoption certificate. While we do not endorse any toys, we do agree it's a great way to teach children about the beauty of rescue animals.





On Another Note - pet stores and puppy mills
Your child, niece/nephew, or grandchild is clamoring for a puppy and begging you to take he or she to see the puppies at the local pet store. Or your friend is thinking of getting their child a puppy for Christmas at the local pet shop. If you're reading this newsletter you know the pet store is not the way to welcome a new addition to the family, but your friend may not. We need to help educate everyone on the harm that pet stores do. We all know puppy mills supply the pet stores, and many of the little pups are ill or possibly have genetic problems inherited from their parents. The price for these dogs is ridiculously high and the medical bills add much more cost than initially anticipated by the purchaser. There are literally millions of loving dogs in animal shelters just waiting for homes. Please let everyone you know about the beauty of rescue dogs and the joy these angels can bring to a family.

Like to Golf?

Coming April 21, Lost Angels will be hosting a golf tournament. For you golfers out there, put this one on your calendar and look for more details coming your way soon.


Just for Laughs





Look Who's Found a Home!

We are pleased to share many happy endings in this edition:

Justice has a new family! His new mom writes,"I’ve been with Justice since Kelly brought him to the Hospital were I work. I have seen his improvement and he is a real Miracle. Now Justice is a perfectly normal, healthy, and beautiful dog. We love him so much. He has fit in our home perfectly. My older dog, Bingo, plays with Justice all the time. I also have two Bunnies (Ethan and Roger) that Justice likes too. Justice is already potty trained, likes to go for walks and knows when it is time to eat, sleep and play. He’s a very smart dog. Justice has a toy box and usually we find him inside the box, so funny. I thank Kelly for giving me the opportunity of being Justice’s foster mom for a while and now that we adopted him, we know this is one of the best things that has happened to us. We will love him and take good care of him. That’s my promise!!" What a wonderful happy ending for a very special little boy.



Harley is having the time of his life at his new home. His mom says, "Thanks so much for saving him! He's such a great guy I can't believe anyone could give him up. Their loss, my gain! He's a real joy. Thanks for Harley, and thanks for all the great work you do!"




Buster aka Skipper's mom tells us, "Last August, my husband and I adopted Skipper, a white with black spots mutt (part hound, part Jack Russell, part Border Collie?) from Lost Angels. We love him dearly, and have been so happy to have found him at your adoption day at the Petco on Dale Mabry. We have renamed him Buster and he has been a wonderful addition to our family."


"This is Jazz - we adopted him from Lost Angels about 6 weeks ago - thought you would like an update. He is 95% potty trained, and is currently enrolled in Puppy Kindergarten and is learning to "sit" and "down" - but this a bit of a challenge with him being deaf. We are giving him lots of love and treats."




Oscar's dad sent us a recent update, "Oscar is doing very well. His handicap does not hinder him whatsoever. We walk once maybe twice a day, and can Oscar walk! ......or should a say skip! Again I want to thank Lost Angels for being able to join us together. Oscar has become a welcome addition to our home. Happy Holidays."




Blue was adopted just a few weeks ago and, "she is doing great! She is making excellent progress, as she was first very nervous, and now loves to follow us around! She even likes to wear a sweater when it's cold outside. Thank you for letting us bring Blue into our family. She is a complete joy!"




Boudreaux's mom let us know "He is the most wonderful little
dog and I could have looked for a lifetime and not found a sweeter
friend. Love to Desiree, his wonderful foster Mom who kept him for me until it was time for me and Boudreaux to be together! He's such a good boy and he's doing great! I am grateful to ya'll every day for saving him! Thank you!"



Hershey's family emailed "to let you know how much Hershey means to our whole family! He's wonderful and my Mom has been so happy and he seems to be also. We see him often and so enjoy him so much! Hershey is a special dog and I just wanted to let you know how much we love him!"




Deed's mom tells us, "It's been a year now since Deeds joined our family. He is a very special dog loved by everyone who sees him! We have a couple of friends who are seriously considering getting a Shih Tzu because of him. Of course we recommend a rescue group, Lost Angels if in this area. Thank you for all the work you do!"


Joe's family wrote to provide an update. "Joe flew home for Thanksgiving to Pennsylvania and was a perfect little angel!!! He loves to go Bye-bye...everyone fell in love with him, my family as well as everybody at the airport. He has come leaps and bounds with the snarls and nipping, in fact when he gets too many kisses HE kisses YOU back! Joe was with 4 other dogs on Thanksgiving and gave the 45lb Weimaraner puppy a run for his money; the labs knew better than to mess with little 'CuJoe'. His eye is completely healed and his fur camouflages the fact that it is missing." Pictures to follow.


Molly was one of two pups dropped off at Petco one morning. Just take a look at her now. Isn't she gorgeous? Her family tells us she is very sweet.










Sophie, formally Rollie, and Agatha, the tiny white chihuhua, were both adopted from Lost Angels. They are both very happy and obviously well loved.








Metu's mom tells us, "Metu and Elliot are getting along well- of course, if you don't count Metu stealing Elliot's chew toy, Metu pushing him out of the way to get to me, Metu having to be first out the door, Metu having to be first to eat... and so on. Elliot seems to be pretty easy-going but will push back when Metu tries to take his chew toys. It is fun to have the two dogs - definitely different but we are all adjusting. They really bring a lot of laughter to me, my friends and family - so much fun and both dogs are so different. Thank you so much for your help and for hooking me up with such great additions to my family.



Pepper aka Flower found her forever home in November. She is very happy and even gets to share a little vanilla ice cream once in awhile.




And last but not least, "I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful addition to our family Marley is. About 2 weeks after I adopted Marley, I found out I was pregnant. At first, I was concerned that Marley might not do well with a baby. But, he proved me wrong. My son LOVES Marley and Marley loves him. They play all the time. Marley has also added years to our other senior dog's life. Pokey is about 11 or so years old. You'd think he was a puppy the way he runs and plays with Marley. They constantly play chase all through the house and yard. Marley is my little guard dog and makes me feel safe. He is fearless and not afraid of anyone or anything despite his small size (he even scares the next door neighbor's Rottweiller!). He is a perfect mix of energy - playful and cuddly. He likes to perch on my shoulder on the couch and get scratched behind the ears. He is so cute and funny and makes me laugh every single day. Thank you so much for what you do. You have a wonderful organization. I will forward a picture of him soon."

Powered by Blogger