August/September News

Training Done Right


Your dog is a barker

Dogs bark for any number of reasons including the sound of doorbells, telephones, thunder and other dogs barking. Some dogs, however, over-bark from causes such as separation anxiety, lack of exercise, or just because they were allowed to in their previous home. It drives you nuts and you want to teach the dog appropriate barking. What does that mean and where do you begin?

Appropriate barking is alerting you to a concern. Is he hurt, is there someone at your door, is there someone in your yard uninvited? How do you change the inappropriate behavior? First, look within. Is there something you are doing or saying that could be triggering her to bark? According to Matty Margolis (When Good Dogs do Bad Things) "there can be no permanent solution without awareness of the external causes." For instance, when you prepare to leave your home do you make a big deal over your dog, petting and 'reassuring' her you'll be back shortly? That will actually exacerbate the issue leaving your pet wanting more attention that leads to barking. A better approach is not do anything special - act as you always do around your dog and leave without fuss.

Some dogs bark because they are bored - how to alleviate the boredom? Exercise. Walk your pet, run around in the yard, play fetch. Fifteen to 30 minutes of exercise in the morning, should assist with the problem. Matty suggests that doing this in the morning helps release your dog's tension to be more relaxed during the day.

Thunder is an issue for many dogs. The problem is the more we try to comfort the dog, the worse it becomes. Why? Because he's getting attention. The best approach is to act as though it's no big deal. Keep a calm demeanor and, again, treat your dog as your would any other day. Issues with telephone and doorbell noises can be fixed by unplugging the phone or placing a sign at the door not to ring the bell. Of course that's not the best thing to do if you are home. When the phone rings and the dog starts barking, say "NO" using a firm voice and then praise your dog when he stops. For more information and tips on excessive barking, in addition to the book referred to above there are many training resources available. As always, choose what works best for you.

Spotlight On Our Adoptees



I'm Ruby and this is my sister Lindy. I am a very sweet 9 year old female Schnauzer and Lindy is a 6 year old cocker spaniel basset hound mix. Our owner passed away and now we need to find someone who can take us both together. Lindy and I are devoted to each other and just don't want to split up. We are very gentle and well behaved. We are up to date on all of our shots, including rabies. We are spayed, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested (neg) and currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. We also come with one free vet visit. Our adoption fee is $150.00 for both of us. If you have room in your heart and home for a couple of older gals like us, please call my foster Mom at 813-486-4001 or email Lost Angels.

I'm Tina, a wonderful 2 year old female Chow Retriever mix. I look a little funny because I only have 3 1/2 legs, but I run and play just as well as my foster brothers and sisters. I am very cute - don't you think I have beautiful eyes? I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am spayed, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $125 and I come with one free vet visit. I would love to have my own family. Please contact my foster Mom at 813-334-8765 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me. I can't wait to meet you.

Hi. My name is Sawyer. I am a 6 year old male Maltese mix who weighs 8 pounds. I get along well with other dogs and am looking for a family to call my own. I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am neutered, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $150.00 and I also come with one free vet visit. Please take me home with you by calling my foster Mom at 813-486-4001 or email Lost Angels.

I'm Dorian, a male 19 pound Jack Russell somewhere between 6 and 7 years old. I look a little funny with my bow legs, it's a form of dwarfism common in my breed, but I get around just fine. I have perfect house manners and am very quiet. I don't get on the furniture or bark and I love to play ball. I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am neutered, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. I've even gotten my teeth cleaned. My adoption fee is $125.00 and I come with one free vet visit. If I'm your kind of guy, please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels.

Hi. My name is Wookie. I am a very handsome 7 year old male Shih Tzu weighing 16 lbs. I'm a cuddly little guy and love being around people. I am neutered, current on all shots including rabies, and wormed for intestinal parasites and microchipped. I have been started on a monthly heartworm and flea preventative. My adoption fee is $150 and I come with one free vet visit. To find out more about me, please call my foster Mom at 813-237-1401 or email Lost Angels. I'd love to be part of your family.

My name is Roman. I am a 1 year old male American Bulldog,Pit Bull Terrier mix. I have a sweet disposition and a great personality. I have lots of energy and just love to play with other dogs. I am neutered, current on all shots including rabies, and wormed for intestinal parasites and microchipped. My adoption fee if $125. Please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me. Will you take me home?

My name is Louie. I am a 3 year old male Shepherd/Black Lab mix. I had a rough start in life living outside in a cage 24 hours a day. I am in obedience training with Barkbusters Dog Training. My training will transfer to my new family for as long as needed. I love to play especially fetching a ball but don't do real well with other dogs. I still think I'm a puppy and don't realize how strong I am so have to be very careful around children. My foster Mom says I am an amazing dog with a fantastic personality who will bring a family so much love and happiness if given an opportunity. I am neutered, up to date on all of shots, including rabies, microchipped, wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested(neg) and currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $100. Please call my foster Mom at 813-453-1124 or email Lost Angels to find out more about me.

Hi. My name is Xol. I am a 2 year old male Jack Russell terrier weighing about 18 lbs. I am a happy guy with lots of energy and love to chase a tennis ball. I do well with other dogs but not so well with cats. I am neutered, current on all shots including rabies, wormed for intestinal parasites and micro chipped. There are options for my HW treatment that will be discussed with a potential new family. My adoption fee is $125. If you would love to add me to your family, please contact my foster mom at (813) 417-2106 or email Lost Angels.


To see all of our babies looking for a forever home, please visit Lost Angels Animal Rescue.

Lost Angels Friends



Special thanks to Karen Schattle who continues to support us every month with donations. We are very appreciative of all you do for the angels.

Mr and Mrs. Alfred Bernabei have given us some happy surprises by going to our vet's office (Murphy Animal Hospital) and putting money in our account. Thank you so much for your generosity.

To everyone who reached out in support of Justice through prayers and financial assistance, our heartfelt thanks go to you. We would also like to thank Dr. Hay at Veterinary Surgical Services for giving Justice another chance at life and the staff at Murphy Animal Hospital who so lovingly cared for our little Miracle boy. Justice is doing so well that he recently moved to his new foster home with foster parents Ellen and Bob and new chihuahua friend, Taco. We will keep you updated on his progress.


Tidbits

The Joys of Fostering

Recently we received an email from Karen in Missouri. She was reading through our website and was compelled to write to tell us how much she enjoyed not only the site but also the shelter dog video. Karen works with an all volunteer foster network and has been fostering dogs and cats since 1993. In her words, "I still am committed (or should I say, I should be committed!)." How wonderful it was to hear from her, but also how great to know that for 13 years she has played an integral role in helping dogs and cats live in a friendly surrounding and find their forever homes.

Fruits and Veggies Rule

Did you know that fruits and vegetables are just as good for your dog as for you? According to Animal Wellness Magazine, "providing your dog or cat with a variety of nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables can help him live a healthier, longer life, even reducing the risk of certain diseases, including cancer."

Just as with people, brightly colored fruits and vegetables are the best source of vitamins and minerals. Veggies such as carrots, broccoli, celery can be served raw or steamed. Apples, pears, and bananas are fine but stay away from grapes and raisins. As always, consult your vet before introducing any new foods to your dog.

Just for Laughs



The other day I saw two dogs walk over to a parking meter. One of them says to the other, "How do you like that? Pay toilets!"
--Dave Starr

My neighbor has two dogs. One of them says to the other, "Woof!" The other replies, "Moo!" The dog is perplexed. "Moo? Why did you say, 'Moo'?" The other dog says, "I'm trying to learn a foreign language."
- Morey Amsterdam

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
--Corey Ford, American writer

Look Who's Found a Home!

We are pleased to share many happy endings in this edition:

Pucci (formerly Peanut) has a family! Jacqueline wrote to let us know he is well loved. "He brings a smile to our hearts. They say that pets are really good for older people, but I know they are real beneficial for people of all ages. And getting an 'older' pet was the best!! He was already trained! He is so calm, well-behaved and lovable. It's nice to see my Grandmother laugh and get such a big kick out of him prancing around, wagging his tail and looking so darn cute. When I've had a stressful day, he instantly makes me forget, when he looks at me with complete adoration. He melts my heart. How can anyone NOT have a pet in their home? Thanks for giving us such an angel!"

Dixie has also found a special home. Her family says that "from day one when we drove over to Petco to meet her we knew she would be the perfect fit. She has adapted well and runs the house. She loves everyone and can't give you enough kisses when she thinks she has been left out of something. We have had the typical chewing stage as most young dogs do, but she has learned that her toys are the only acceptable thing to chew on and not the dining room table or chairs. I can't thank you enough for allowing Dixie to become part of our family. Thank you for all that you do to find these lost angels a new lease on life."

Smoky, formerly Chewy, is doing well in his new home. His Dad tells us he has healed from his skin issues and is in great health. "He is a wonderful dog and we love him very very much!!"




Odie was adopted by a fantastic family. According to his new mom, "it's a good thing we don't have kids because this little boy is one spoiled puppy! Odie has learned to stay with us outside without being on a leash! He understands his commands and loves the little treats he gets for being a good boy. He has been crate trained and he knows that his crate is his house. When I give him pig's ears, he takes it in the crate to eat so we won't bother him. He is such a character! We entered Odie in the Old Navy Mascot contest. We know the chance of winning is like 111,000 to 1, but we thought it was fun. Thank you for giving Chad and I the opportunity to give Odie a good home!"

Max (aka Gomez) made the transition to his new family very well and they are having a great time together. He was very sick with Parvo virus but is now very healthy and happy.



Tia's new mom writes, "Here are a couple of pics of Tia (Jama) and Chico hanging out on their recliner. They are getting along great. Tia is getting more playful and outgoing everyday. She is quite the little character. Chico wanted you to know that girls can be a little bossy sometimes; but he loves his new sister. Thanks again for all the wonderful things you do for the angels with fur."

Get ready to see the new "Lilly" now aka "The Critter" with her best friend, "Fugi" at home in Marblehead, Ohio. Lilly's mom tells us that she has been an absolute delight and "loves her new life with us and Fugi. Every day she looks around upon awaking with such happiness in her eyes. She has a beautiful coat and has filled out quite a bit as well! She hasn't spent one day since her adoption without us! Our Ohio friends who visited while we were in Florida never thought she would live to see Ohio! Now they are just totally amazed at how adorable she has become. Because Fugi and Lilly are so laid back and well behaved they get invited to lots of parties too!!! They are the best advertisement for "Petfinders" I can't tell you how many people want to know where we got such wonderful dogs! Thanks again for allowing us to adopt Lilly who has given us such pleasure and love."

Chloe loves her new home. Her dad wrote to tell us "she loves her Kylie and her cat Josie Bell. Chloe sleeps in my right armpit and Kylie wrapped around my head(really) every night. The little Purple Boy toy in the pic is one of two toys Chloe brought with her and I have sewn them up many times and keep them washed for her. She plays tug-o-war with Kylie and with us endlessly and walks 1 mile around the subdivision every night. You have made Chloe and us very happy."


Little Poochi (formerly Ellery) was adopted by a wonderful family. She loves to take naps with her daddy and spend quality time with her Mom. Poochi is a very happy little girl.



Rags (fka Gregory) was recently adopted and is having the time of his life with his new family. They tell us "he and our Golden Retriever are getting along great, he adores the girls, and he has wonderful manners. We're all thrilled with this little guy. Thank You -- and send our thanks to everyone at Lost Angels."



Bella (formerly Cozy) is adored by her family and really fits in. Her mom wrote "her name is now Bella which means beautiful. Thank you so much for giving us the privilege of adopting her. She is so funny and busy. She loves to be held and have her ears scratched. She eats like a horse but we just give her small amounts at a time. She is so much fun we really enjoy having her and will take good care of her."

And finally, Dinky was adopted earlier this year and has become such a big part of her new family's life. Her mom tells us "She is doing extremely well and is such a doll! She now weighs 4.3 lbs and loves to play. We did keep her name Dinky as I thought this poor little girl had been through too much to have to adapt to a new name. She is most loving and would be content to sit on my lap all day. Her favorite spot is to sit on my lap while I do computer work during the day. She loves her comfort and her daily dog treat."

Powered by Blogger