November/December News

The Holidays Are Here


It's the holiday season and we all need to take some precautions to keep our pets safe. Look at the picture below and see how many hazards you can find.



How many did you locate? If you guessed 7 or more you have a safe home. Here's the list:

  • Tree lights -- pets can tangle themselves in the cords and pull the tree down.
  • Tinsel -- if ingested, a gastrointestinal blockage occurs and surgery may be needed.
  • Breakable ornaments -- glass shards could be stepped on or ingested by your pet. If your pets enjoy playing with the decorations on the tree, decorate the bottom third with wood or plastic ornaments for their pleasure.
  • Electrical cords -- Pets may chew through the cords resulting in electrocution. Unplug any cords when not in use and don't leave pets unattended around exposed cords.
  • Gifts -- keep all gifts with ribbon off the floor so pets aren't tempted to play. As with tinsel, ribbon can cause intestinal blockage.
  • Human Food -- Chocolate, raisins and onions are examples of human foods dangerous to pets. Turkey bones can also get caught in your pet's throat. Gastroenteritis to lethal toxicity can result from sharing human foods. To take part in the holiday festivities, give your pet their favorite safe animal treat.
  • Alcohol -- Exposure to alcohol can result in alcohol poisoning. Animals are smaller than people and it does not take much alcohol to make them seriously ill.
  • Poinsettia -- Poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are poisonous to pets when chewed. Keep them out of reach or purchase silk plants instead.
  • Candles -- burning candles that are accessible to pets can cause fire in the home and painful burns to your pets. Place them in an area where they can't be tipped over and don't let candles burn unattended.

Another hazard not pictured is the Christmas tree stand -- water in the stand contains pine sap and/or chemicals added to keep the tree from dropping needles. Both are dangerous if ingested.

Over the holidays, make sure everyone has a good time by preventing harmful situations for your pets. If you have questions related to holiday hazards, please consult your local veterinarian. Have a wonderful holiday season!



Look Who's Found a Home!



Here is a wonderful example of our Repeat adoptions. Howie was adopted in April and Solomon just last weekend by the same family. These folks provide a loving home for these two little angels. We are so happy they are together.


Tippy was recently adopted by another wonderful family. Right after they brought him home, he was diagnosed with an intestinal virus. Tippy was very sick and almost died but his new family would not give up. Thanks to their love and the work of a fantastic vet, he is now healthy and happy playing with his buddy, Tyler.

Little Miz LuLu (a.k.a. Cotton) is enjoying her new home. Her family says she is the sweetest dog ever and loves her more and more every day. They are one big happy family and obviously have great fun at Halloween. Miz LuLu is pictured here in her 2005 Howl-o-ween photo.

Look at Hoss. He was a former rescue who is very satisfied in his new home. Hoss comes to visit LAAR often at Petco all dressed up in his bad boy clothes.






Abbey has found her forever home and are we ever pleased. A confiscation for cruelty in November 2004, Abbey spend almost 1 year exactly at Animal Services awaiting her fate. LAAR watched over her making sure she was as comfortable as possible considering she was on hard concrete floors in a cage with very little human contact. It was thrilling when finally Kelly was able to pick her up and bring her to her foster home. Abbey was recently adopted and is treated like a princess. As promised and in true princess fashion she is now in pearls and velvet. Her new name is Holly Golightly (If you remember the story, Holly Golightly had a very hard life.....moved away and changed her name! In the end, she learned how to be loved, love and trust!). She is finally where she belongs.

Prissy is an adorable little girl who just found her forever home. Her family says she is doing very well and enjoys having Prissy with them.

Chris was adopted about a month ago and is obviously very content in his new home.









This just in on Dinky and Majic. Dinky was the chihuahua who had 2 broken front legs and a broken pelvis. Surgery was performed on her legs with Dr. Hay an Orthopedic Surgeon. She's still with her foster Mom until completely healed mid-December, but the good news is that she was adopted by a wonderful family who is convinced that she is their baby already.
Majic, the little pup who is deaf and blind in one eye was just adopted by another family to join their deaf dog. Another happy ending!










Have You Heard?


Want a picture with Santa? Every Saturday beginning in December from 11AM-3PM we will be taking pics of your furbabies with Santa. Bring them down for your holiday photos. For more information, check out our events calendar.

Lost Angels will be at the Ace Golf Range on Linebaugh Ave. on Tuesday, November 22 from 5-9PM. We'll have some of our furbabies with us as well as a book with all of our available dogs with pics and profiles. Please come by and visit our table.

Here's a great and useful holiday gift - the LAAR calendar! The first annual 2006 LAAR calendar is now available and features adoptees from Lost Angels. It's only $10 and all proceeds go to helping the dogs. Visit our website for more information.

Changing Your New Pet's Name

You love your new dog, but hate its name. The general rule of adopting rescues is that 95% of folks change their pet's name. But it might make sense to consider keeping the one it has. After all, the pet could have had several names by the time it leaves the shelter--the ones its previous owner or owners gave it, and the one the shelter and/or rescue gave it if the animal came in as a stray. Hearing that familiar word is comforting. Not hearing that any more can be a little confusing.

Changing a pet's name is just a matter of repetition. Once they hear it enough, they learn to identify with it. It usually takes two weeks to a month before the pet knows its new name and you may want to consider choosing a name that sounds similar to the pet's other name, to make it easier. Try keeping it simple, about two syllables. Talk directly to the animal, and use whatever special voice you might use to draw its notice.

In the beginning, you'll have to clap your hands or make some other sound to attract the animal's attention. Don't scold them for not understanding, especially if it's an older adult dog. Reward them for responding by giving your pet a special treat or lots of praise.


Lost Angels Friends


Special thanks to:
Laura and Darryl Gushin for their donation in honor of Rosie and Charlie. Charlie was adopted from Lost Angels. Rosie was a model for a dog brush and the money she received she donated to LAAR in appreciation of her brother Charlie.

Mildred Buchan, Debbie Buchan, Kelly Wilson, and Christopher Wilson for their donation in memory of Dottie Snipes.

All of our volunteers and supporters. You make a difference in the lives of all of our Lost Angels!

In Memory of:

my beloved Mei Mei who crossed over on 9/27/05 and has joined her brother Kai (6/6/04) and sisters Sasha and Prissy (5-28-03 and 6-03-03). You will always be in my heart.. I love You .... MOM, Patty

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...



Lost Angels can use your help. We believe all dogs deserve a good and loving home. Many of the furbabies we foster require medical attention that can be expensive. While we will do whatever it takes to bring these dogs to good health for their new families, cash or check donations are always welcome to help with the medical costs of our dogs with special needs. If you'd like to donate in person, please visit us at PetCo (on the corner of Dale Mabry and Fletcher on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm). Or you can send a check made payable to Lost Angels Animal Rescue, Inc. to: Lost Angels Animal Rescue, Inc., P.O. Box 3696, Riverview, FL 33568. Please know that 100% of all donations go to the dogs.


Spotlight On Our Adoptees



My name is Oscar. I am a very sweet 2 1/2 year old little male Terrier mix who weighs 17 pounds. No one is sure what exactly happened to me but the orthopedic surgeon says that I have what they call an avulsion! This can happen when someone attempts to lift up a dog by it's leg, similar to how you might pick up a small child by their arm and lifting them up to you. The nerves are torn around the shoulder and under arm. The surgeon says that I have some slight feeling and would like to give me a couple of months to see if the nerves will regenerate. If not, I may need to have my leg removed. I am hoping for a special family that will accept me with all fours for now, knowing that I might only have three in time. My foster mom says that I am extra special and if I do not improve, the Angels will cover the cost of my surgery for my new family. I’m neutered and up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. My adoption fee is $125. Please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels. Are you that family looking for me?

I’m Princess, a wonderful 3 year old purebred Rottie. I was taken to a kill shelter with my baby. She was adopted but I was scheduled to be put to sleep. I have a wonderful personality and get along great with other dogs. I weigh 75 lbs and can't wait to find a home that understands my breed and knows what great family dogs Rotties are. I am spayed, current on all shots including rabies, and micro chipped. My adoption fee is $150 and I come with one free vet visit. If you can find a space in your heart for me, please contact the Angels at 813-245-3110 or email Lost Angels. I can't wait to meet you.

Hi. My name is Buzz. I am a 6 year old Cattle Dog with a heart of gold. I was left in a kill shelter, emaciated and full of fleas. I have gained lots of weight and am feeling so much better. I am looking forward to a new home to recuperate and get lots of love. I am so sweet, mellow and loving and would be a great dog for any family. I am up to date on all of my shots, including rabies. I am neutered, have all of my shots, including rabies and am microchipped. I have been wormed for intestinal parasites, heartworm tested (treated) and am currently on a flea and heartworm preventative. My adoption fee is $125.00 and I also come with one free vet visit. Please take me home with you by calling my foster Mom at 813-245-3110 or email Lost Angels.

I’m Soca. I am a male Terrier mix weighing in at 14 pounds. I have been with my foster family for a year now and sure would love to have a forever home. I am 4 1/2 years old and would do best in a home with older kids. I love to play and chase my tennis ball. I'm so-so with other dogs until I get to know them. I am neutered, up to date on all of my shots, including rabies and microchipped. My adoption fee is $125. If you have room in your heart and home for a cute guy like me, please call my foster Mom at 813-417-2106 or email Lost Angels.


My name is Ashley. Someone nice found me wandering in a park and brought me to the Angels. They had to pull my teeth because they were all bad and had me spayed. I am an older girl and blind but still have lots of love to give. I'm with a great foster mom at Yorkie Friends Rescue right now but would love to have my own family. Please email Lost Angels to find out more about me.


To see all of our babies looking for a forever home, please visit Lost Angels Animal Rescue.

Powered by Blogger